High staff turnover or challenges carrying out critical tasks such as developing a budget or producing timely and accurate financial reports usually signal a strain on an organization’s fiscal infrastructure. FMA can help.
FMA’s fiscal infrastructure review provides practical steps to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the fiscal department, freeing management to focus on the analysis necessary to make more informed strategic decisions.
Our review provides guidance on improving communication between the finance office and other key departments in need of accurate financial information.
Our approach consists of interview and discussions with key fiscal, programmatic, and management staff. During a fiscal infrastructure review, FMA focuses on the following:
- Is the right staff in place?
- Are roles and responsibilities clearly defined?
- Does staff receive the training necessary to be successful in their roles?
- Is accounting software maximized to produce timely and accurate financial reports?
- Does accounting software integrate with fundraising and membership software as appropriate?
Policies and Procedures:
- Are processes developed with an appropriate balance of workflow and internal controls?
- Is there a structured monthly “closing” process?
- Is the organization compliant with all funder and government reporting requirements?
- Were there concerns expressed in the last management letter issued by independent auditors?