FMA is pleased to welcome graduate interns to our firm throughout the year as Summer Associates and Consulting Fellows, working alongside full-time members of our consulting team. As a boutique firm, each member of our team plays an integral role in our client engagements, and our Associates and Fellows are no different: we pride ourselves in our collaborative environment and the rich, hands-on learning that we provide to graduate students who join us throughout their studies.
To learn more, click the links below or scroll down the page.
At FMA, we value each individual’s unique experiences, skill sets and ideas, and work with Associates and Fellows to tailor the experience to their strengths and interests. While we understand that students seek learning and professional growth throughout their time with FMA, we are also excited by—and seek to leverage—their diverse talents and fresh perspectives.
FMA’s Associates and Fellows work on project teams to deliver services to a diverse client base, becoming familiar with the range of FMA’s products. Projects may include infrastructure assessments, business planning, process design, startup services, development of policies and procedures, software selection and configuration, and other tailored services. Associates and Fellows will learn project management, service delivery, and client relationship management firsthand.
FMA offers two different opportunities throughout the year for graduate students to engage with the firm:
- The Summer Associate position is a full-time, compensated role, typically extending for 12 consecutive weeks from June through August. Associate positions are available in both the New York and San Francisco FMA offices, and are generally posted in November. Students enrolled in MBA, MPA and other graduate-level programs are encouraged to apply.
- The NYU Wagner Fellowship program is a unique partnership with NYU’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service. The opportunity is made available to a current student enrolled in one of Wagner’s degree programs. It is a part-time, compensated position extending throughout the academic year. The position is generally posted in March or April.
Positions will be posted on the “Jobs at FMA” page, which can be found here.
- Opportunities to contribute to a variety of client engagements through research, analysis, product development and direct client interactions
- Exposure to a broad range of not-for-profit organizations and complex consulting challenges
- A dynamic work experience balancing team-based assignments and independent work
- Ongoing coaching and mentorship from a dedicated manager and other consulting team members
- Engagement and collaboration with consulting team members at all levels of the firm’s organizational structure
- Inclusion in consulting team meetings, social events and professional development opportunities
- Opportunities to contribute to internal thought projects that contribute to institutional learning and, potentially, future FMA product design
- Technical and strategic skills development, and opportunities to apply financial and operations-related academic concepts, theory and models to real-world issues
One of the most striking aspects of my experience at FMA is how quickly I was integrated into the consulting team, exposed to a broad slate of projects and clients, and entrusted with substantive work. The fellowship has been exceedingly rich and rewarding, and I’ve grown both as a professional and as a student. -Lanthy Truong
As a second year MPA student at NYU-Wagner, I could not have imagined a better position than the fellowship at FMA. Through seeing best practices in operations and finance in nonprofits, the theories and principles I discovered in my classes became applicable in the real world. This complementary nature of my degree and the fellowship truly enhanced my learning and made this year unforgettable. -Zoya Kolkin