- This event has passed.
Peer Learning: A Key to Successful Capacity Building
January 18 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
This program is a part of Philanthropy New York’s Capacity Building series for 2017.
Spurring the momentum for sustained change within organizations is a challenging aspect of any capacity building effort. Peer learning can be an effective tool for enhancing organizational change by providing an opportunity for peers to share their successes, challenges, and best practices.
Following Philanthropy New York’s December 1st session focusing on Capacity Building strategies, featuring the experiences of several different grantees, this program will invite a panel of funders to share their approach to capacity building, with a specific focus on peer learning models. Colleagues from the William T. Grant Foundation’s research-practice partnerships model and The Wallace Foundation’s financial management capacity building initiative will explore key learnings from their work that can be translated to enrich other capacity building initiatives. They will highlight questions that grant makers should consider when designing a capacity building program, including questions about internal capacity, size and length of the investment, geographic scope of grantees, types of grantees and their natural networks, and the context and goals of the foundation.
Can’t join us in-person? Watch live stream here:
(Registration not required)
Following a panel presentation, technical assistance providers will facilitate breakout sessions to help grantmakers identify key components for a successful peer learning program.
- Peer learning as one strategy for building capacity in organizations to achieve impact
- Elements of peer learning strategies that achieve the greatest impact
- Critical components of a peer learning program
- Key questions grantmakers should ask before embarking on capacity building, including peer learning
- Hilda Polanco, Founder and CEO, Fiscal Management Associates, LLC
- Polly Singh, Program Officer, Learning and Enrichment, The Wallace Foundation
- Vivian Tseng, Vice President of Programs, William T. Grant Foundation
- Alicia Wilson-Ahlstrom, Director, Field Research, The Forum for Youth Investment
- Marlyn Torres (Moderator), Corporate Vice President, Senior Program Officer, New York Life Foundation