Solutions Journalism Network
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Solutions Journalism Network is reimagining the news.
SJN supports and connects journalists interested in doing solutions journalism, rigorous reporting about how people are responding to problems. It does this this in three ways:
(1) advising and supporting media outlets around the country in creating high-impact solutions reporting projects;
(2) developing educational tools and resources to build journalists’ skills in solutions reporting and editing; and
(3) connecting and supporting those interested in how social problems are being solved.
Since its launch four years ago, SJN has established a standard for solutions journalism and how it’s done; catalyzed highly visible demonstration cases that establish proof of concept; and built a durable administrative and financial infrastructure.
Having recently completed a strategic planning cycle, the organization is embarking on meeting a new set of objectives and imperatives:
- Domestic growth: SJN will significantly extend the reach of its products and services, shifting from investment in relatively few intensive newsroom collaborations to a network of relationships that drive the solutions approach to hundreds of news organizations and thousands of journalists.
- International entry: SJN will adapt its curricula, newsroom, and mass spread strategies for leveraged trials in select markets outside the U.S.
- Dissemination: SJN will create mechanisms that bring relevant solutions stories to actors in society that can most use them – at once accelerating the diffusion of innovation and fueling greater demand for solutions reporting.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is an opportunity for a seasoned accountant with nonprofit accounting experience to improve and manage the accounting function for a dynamic, high-growth organization. The Accounting Manager will maintain accounting records and internal controls in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Accounting Manager will also be responsible for overseeing monthly reconciliation procedures and will coordinate with the Vice President, Finance and Accounting to produce and deliver of all financial statements and budgetary reporting. The Accounting Manager will report to the Vice President, Finance and Accounting.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform all day-to-day financial tasks, including but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll processing
- Manage the general ledger to ensure the accuracy of the SJN’s financial records
- Monitor accounts receivable and accounts payable to ensure adequate cash flow to meet organizational needs
- Execute month-end closing schedule; issue budget monitoring reports at the organizational as well as individual program levels
- Support the Vice President of Finance in preparing the necessary analysis and projections for budget development
- Prepare financial reports and statements; share with Vice President, Accounting and Finance for review and sign-off
- Assist the Vice President of Finance in updating, and maintaining documentation of the accounting policies and procedures
- Organize and maintain electronic banking and investment files, including documentation related to the close of a transaction, organizing documents, amortization schedules, bank transfers, payments, meeting minutes, and other communications
- Liaise with SJN staff to implement changes or process improvements, as needed
- Adept in process improvements and implementing new technologies
- Provide support during the annual financial statement audit
- Conduct analysis of financial accounts as needed, to ensure a strong understanding of financial flows
- Maintain general ledger ensuring so that staff and leadership have timely and accurate financial reports; track budget and actual results achieved
- Keeps the accounting software current and maintains updated knowledge of all finance department technologies/integrations
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA preferred
- Minimum of five years accounting experience in a non-profit organization
- Experience with grant/funder reconciliations and reporting and donor restricted funds
- Keen attention to detail with the initiative to troubleshoot own work
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with the ability to develop solutions to challenges as they arise
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with an overall execution orientation and high attention to detail
- Strong customer service orientation
- Collegial and empathic approach to working with others, while bringing a creative, flexible and thoughtful approach to one’s work
To apply, contact: email@example.com