Acumen is looking for a Finance Associate with at least 2 years of experience in A/P/general accounting to support the work of our New York Finance team. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone with commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and a proven commitment to global development.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $106 million in 96 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
The Finance Team is headed by a CFO working alongside a four-person NY team and involves coordination with local Finance team members. The Finance Senior Associate will report directly to the Controller and work closely with the overall team. Acumen has a $17.3M global operating expense budget and a multi-million annual investing target. The organization is growing, highly solvent with a strong balance sheet.
The Finance Associate is an integral member of the New York Finance team and reports to the Associate Director of Finance. S/he will be responsible for many of the daily accounting and bookkeeping tasks of New York office. Listed below are the primary responsibilities associated with this position:
- Creating and maintaining vendors in accounts payable system, including W-9 documentation
- Checking incoming vendor invoices for correctness such as coding, approval, accuracy etc.
- Checking employee expense reports and ensuring compliance with our expense policy
- Processing payments on invoices and employee expense reports in accordance with Acumen’s Expense Policies
- Applying correct accounting treatment to all payments (expenses, pre-paid expenses, capitalizations, etc.) and entering adjustments when necessary
- Reconciling accounts payable to general ledger monthly
- Processing Forms 1099 at year-end
Month End Close:
- Monitor bank activity throughout the month and reconcile all NY bank accounts to the general ledger at the end of each month
- Allocate indirect expenses to appropriate cost centers at the end of each month
- Book credit card expenses, interest expense, and other miscellaneous income/expenses at the end of each month
Annual Compliance Processes:
- Compile and review workpaper support for the annual audit process
- Compile and review compensation support for the annual 990 process
- Support the team during the annual audit by providing timely and accurate support to audit requests
- Maintaining petty cash and reconciling all cash accounts held in the NY office each month
- Distributing transit cards and reconciling the inventory every month
- Maintaining vendor filing system
- Filling deposit slips for checks received from Business Development and other sources
- Depositing checks in appropriate bank accounts via RDC
- Communicating Finance processes and policies to internal stakeholders
- Identifying opportunities to increase efficiency or provide more accurate financial information to internal stakeholders
- Process payroll and reconcile to payroll reports twice a month
- Other duties as may needed or assigned by the Controller or other members of the Finance team
- Bachelor’s Degree, accounting concentration preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience in accounts payable and/or general accounting in a small or medium sized organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2010 and knowledge of accounting systems; experience with NetSuite a plus
- Excellent communications and organization skills
- Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work in a fast moving environment with high degree of flexibility
Additional characteristics we look for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)
New York, NY
Please submit your application here: http://bit.ly/2sX2wv7. You will be asked for your resume and answers to each of the following questions (in 150 words or less):
- What are the 1-2 specific aspects of this role that you are most excited about? Why?
- What are your top two skills relevant to this position? Give evidence of these skills have made you successful in the past.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; deadline to apply is Friday, July 14, 2017.