Figure Skating in Harlem (FSH) is the first organization in the world to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating, to give girls 6-18 access to innovative programs that advance their intellectual, emotional and physical health. Our MISSION is to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. Now in our 20th anniversary year, our award winning programs have provided low-income girls with access to education, health and wellness services to help
them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. She will be a powerful speaker, an effective leader, live a healthy lifestyle and be a global citizen. Headquartered in Harlem for 20 years, we have just launched our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit.
Job Summary: The Director of Development will report directly to the Founder/CEO and will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, primarily focused on the design and execution of a comprehensive development strategy geared towards major donor relations, as well as new major donor development. The successful candidate will manage and steward a portfolio of relationships, and work as a team player to drive growth and achieve revenue goals. The Director of Development will be a
collaborative and innovative leader, passionate about our mission. S/he will possess confidence in fundraising and donor engagement. This is an opportunity for an experienced, energetic, personable, results-driven, self-motivated and strategic fundraising professional with excellent management, implementation and planning skills to join a dynamic organization at a critical and exciting stage.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee and manage the day to-day operations of the development function. Create and execute an annual fundraising plan. Coordinate with individuals, corporations and foundations to generate revenue, and report and acknowledge gifts. Develop and cultivate on-going relationships and partnerships with constituents, including board of directors. Serve as a key member of the leadership team.
Reports To: CEO
Business Development, Donor Relations & Portfolio Management
- Organize and participate in all aspects of development activities.
- Design and implement a comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan that will generate short-term results and sustainable long-term growth to ensure an annually increasing base of revenue to support a growing organization.
- Steward and grow existing donors while proactively identifying and securing new funding sources.
- Provide innovative strategies to diversify base of support and increase levels of giving (i.e., expand donor base, develop new funding sources, create planned giving options, and generate multi-year gifts).
- Develop and grow individual donor base, nurturing relationships with current donors and cultivating new prospects through research and outreach, including mail and email campaigns and socialmedia.
- Work collaboratively to link funding strategy execution to agency operations and priorities and match with specific individual donors, corporate and foundation interests.
- Conduct prospect research, creating donor profiles and tracking relationships of major donors, family foundations, board members, and affinity groups.
- Host program visits and seek new relationships in the philanthropic community.
- Manage all aspects of the gift cycle, including: donor cultivation strategies, initial contact, solicitations, correspondence, acknowledgements, recognition and stewardship, in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Design agendas and manage logistics for donor meetings and site visits.
- Support staff and volunteers with respect to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts.
- Provide management and oversight to build a strong corporate sponsorship program for events and programs, including:
- identification of prospects
- stewarding relationships with donors and prospects o drafting of written sponsorship proposals and reports.
- Provide management oversight of the donor database and staff who are primarily responsible for maintaining it.
- Provide oversight of the processing of donations and preparation of acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
Board Partnership & Development
- Collaborate with Board of Directors, Governance Committee and CEO on the identification, strategy, cultivation and solicitation of prospects/donors to create a development plan that increases revenues.
- Provide support to CEO on Board and VIP donor cultivation and giving, including the creation of individual giving plans, strategies and meeting preparation and/or participation.
- Act as the liaison to the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Provide oversight for the management and growth of the Junior Board.
- Attend Board and committee meetings as requested.
Special Events and External Relations
- Provide strategy and oversight on planning and execution of the Annual Gala Benefit, as well as other events for cultivation and fundraising.
- Serve as enthusiastic, well-informed spokesperson at key events to raise awareness and build relationships.
- Stay current with organizational strategies and programs to recommend potential donor opportunities.
- Collaborate on communication materials to build awareness for organization; provide leads for PR.
- Manage and update all supporter content including brochures, website, social media, etc.
- Collaborate on the writing of the annual report and regular e-news blasts, to keep supporters informed/engaged.
- Draft realistic revenue forecasts, in-depth analytical reports and measure progress on fundraising goals.
- Provide training and support to staff, board, donors and volunteers to meet financial goals.
- Serve as a key member of leadership team influencing and driving strategy to accomplish goals.
- Perform other tasks, projects and responsibilities as requested by the CEO.
- BA required. MA in Public Relations, Business, Non-Profit Management or Marketing is a plus
- 7-10 years successful fundraising and management experience, preferably in the New York area
- Track record of success in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts and planned gifts
- Demonstrated ability to meet with potential donors, make presentations, and articulate program needs
- Experience executing and/or managing fundraising programs raising $2 million or more annually
- Outstanding knowledge of effective fundraising strategies
- Proven experience in successfully identifying, soliciting and cultivating individual and foundation and/or corporate donors and in securing four, five and six-figure gifts
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Able to follow directions closely, self-start, organize, work independently and collaboratively, prioritize, multi-task, follow-up and accomplish a variety of tasks and responsibilities simultaneously
- Think analytically and be results- and detail-oriented, resolve problems quickly, provide tactful feedback
- Appreciation for youth development and education nonprofits including commitment to and passion for mission
- Competency with budget management
- Transparent, professional and high integrity leadership skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, Raiser’s Edge (or similar database) required
- Strong prospect research skills
- Grant writing experience is a plus
- Knowledge of New York philanthropic community is a plus
- Presence and comfort level to work with a diverse population
- S/he will thrive in a culture of contagious positive energy, high performance, and teamwork
- Sense of humor and calm in fast-paced environment is a must (customer-friendly attitude) Flexibility to work periodic evenings and occasional weekends as needed
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume, writing sample and cover letter detailing your interest and skills applicable to the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Director of Development.” No phone calls please.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience includes a comprehensive benefits package. This is a full-time, exempt position. Especially interested in hearing from candidates from diverse backgrounds. EOE.