The Friends Committee on National Legislation seeking an accountant who will provide support with daily Finance Office functions, including general ledger postings, accounts payable entries and bank reconciliations. He/She will be a member of the Finance and Administration Team and will report directly to the Director of Finance.
FCNL works for social justice, peace, and stewardship of the environment. Since 1943, the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) has brought Quaker values to bear on national policy through congressional testimony, Capitol Hill visits, media outreach, grassroots lobbying and long‐term campaigns. We accomplish this work through focused legislative campaigns, educational activities, publications, email and social media and a robust web site, among other tools. FCNL witnesses from a basis of spiritual and ethical purpose and seeks to change government policy and practice for the better. FCNL is growing. In the last decade, tens of thousands of new people have been drawn to join the FCNL network to learn more about federal policy issues, lobby their elected representatives and help to rebuild our democratic system. Today, our nationwide network of some 60,000 includes people from many different faiths and backgrounds. FCNL is governed by a General Committee of about 190 people, who are members of the Religious Society of Friends. This committee meets annually.
FCNL offices are located on Capitol Hill, directly across from the Hart Senate Office Building. We currently have a staff of 43. We take joy in having a multitude of voices and talents working together to strengthen our impact in the world. In keeping with our Quaker testimony of equality, we strive to work at an organization that welcomes, values and respects the different perspectives of every individual.
The Accountant is an integral part of the Finance and Administration team. He/she works with the Director for Finance to ensure that FCNL’s financial management is performed in accordance with organizational guidelines and good accounting practices and that work is done as efficiently and effectively as possible. The Accountant is supervised by the Director for Finance.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
- Performs monthly accounting closing process. Informs constituents regarding all accounting issues to complete this process on a timely basis.
- Manages accounts payable, including preparing invoices for payment and printing checks, research of bill payment status, annual preparation of 1099s and changes in vendor information.
- Reconciles investment statements
- Posts daily, online bank deposit(s) and posts entries from fundraising software (Raisers Edge)into accounting software (Financial Edge)
- Coordinates with Development staff to resolve differences that may arise from processing.
- Prepares semi-monthly payroll from time entry system and HR reports. Creates payroll journal entries.
- Supports staff time entry function, including training and updating projects in database
- Prepares equipment usage reports (copiers and postage meter)
- Reconciles monthly credit card reports
- Manages state charitable registrations and annuity reporting
- Actively involved with annual financial audit under supervision of Director of Finance
- Manages and coordinates various projects as assigned by Director of Finance
Experience and Attributes
- Accounting knowledge and three to five years relevant accounting experience. Business/accounting degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, and a computerized general ledger and accounts payable system. (previous experience with Blackbaud General Ledger, Accounts Payable, and Raiser’s Edge desirable)
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deal readily with constant change as well as fixed routines
- General interest in legislative issues and public policy; comfortable with FCNL statement of legislative policy
Competitive non-profit salary and generous benefit package, including health, disability, vision and dental insurance, paid holidays and vacation, medical, personal and other leave, and employer investment in a 401(k) plan.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
FCNL seeks to create a diverse workplace. We are actively soliciting applicants from different ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.