Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills) is a public-private partnership driven to meet the talent demands of businesses, and to be a catalyst for systemic change and innovation. The force behind this drive is centered on our mission to get the unemployed and underemployed back to work. By focusing on the hiring demand of employers, Skills has created a paradigm shift in the general supply-driven approach to workforce development. The impact of this demand-driven approach can be seen through both the employers’ skilled and diverse workforce, and the economic mobility provided to the job seekers who are no longer unemployed/underemployed. Launched in 2012, Skills’ foundation is built on its strong employer partner relationships, dedicated Board of Directors, and funding support from both the public and private sector. To date, Skills has directly impacted the lives of more than 3,400 job seekers by placing them in positions at over 50 employer partners across Chicagoland.
For more information on Skills’ impact on the local business and economic landscape, and national thought leadership, please visit www.skillsforchicagolandsfuture.com.
The ideal candidate for the Staﬀ Accountant position will thrive in a fast-paced, result oriented, non‐proﬁt environment that can manage multiple priorities. The ideal candidate will have a strong customer service orientation in all dealings with internal and external customers and demonstrate a willingness to be innovative in their approach to tasks. The ideal candidate will be open to learning how to execute at a tactical level, but show a willingness to see the bigger impact to the organization. The Staﬀ Accountant will take direction and guidance from and report to the Controller.
- Coordinate and prepare reporting and vouchers for government grants, including reconciliation and analysis of supporting data and documentation. Work with internal and external parties in order to obtain support needed for expenditures and enforce compliance, where applicable.
- Maintain and update all pertinent ﬁnancial records and transactions into the accounting system.
- Manage payroll database for organization and process on a scheduled basis. Prepare reports for leadership review.
- Support the team with overall maintenance, creation, and adherence to internal control systems.
- Serve as lead on all accounts payable and accounts receivable related activity. Proactively identify areas or opportunities for improving departmental processes and procedures.
- Work in collaboration with Controller to oversee grant‐related data‐tracking and organization of documents via hard ﬁles and soft to ensure clean ﬁling. Assist team with compliance audits ranging from voucher audits to external audit and tax preparation.
- Support Controller in month‐end close procedures, budget preparations.
- Assume responsibility for ad‐hoc projects assigned by the Controller and/or VP of Finance & Administration related to the implementation of strategic initiatives and growth of the organization.
- Embody the organization’s mission and values and have a passion for its success
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Will consider those with a degree in Business Management or Master’s degree.
- Two (2) years of professional experience; preferably in nonproﬁt, government, or public accounting.
- Certiﬁed Public Accountant; will consider candidates that are pursuing designation.
- Proven proﬁciency in Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following experience, skills, and personal attributes:
- Organized with an ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be nimble and flexible in an ever-changing landscape along with excellent work habits
- Strong analytical skills and working knowledge with an accounting software
- Have a high level of self‐motivation and be thorough and detail oriented
- Ability to maintain an attitude of professional skepticism
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Creativity and problem‐solving approach
- Knowledge of basic GAAP
- Knowledge of internal control concepts and procedures
- Experience related to government grants is a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, click here.