Oakland, Full-time, Exempt Position
Color Of Change helps people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people, and all people. Our operations include three organizations – a C3, C4 and PAC, which allow us to take on a broad spectrum of issues. We currently have 40 staff spread out over four offices in Oakland, CA, Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY and Washington, DC.
Color Of Change is seeking a full-time Finance Associate based in Oakland, CA, which reports to the Director of Finance. The right candidate has experience with non-profit finance and is committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment while managing competing priorities. This position is an excellent opportunity to be a critical problem-solver within a growing, mission-driven organization.
- Process A/P on a weekly basis and manage/track vendor contracts
- Process A/R and invoicing on a weekly basis
- Track and report on credit card charges
- Train staff on use of finance tools to accurately code expenses
- Assist with payroll and other finance related HR functions
- Provide donor customer service to resolve issues expeditiously
- Maintain filing system to keep information easily accessible
- Update and document written internal finance procedures and forms
- Assist the Director of Finance on projects and administration as needed
- Work with the finance team to research, identify and implement solutions/technology to make our processes better
- Familiarity with QuickBooks a plus, but not necessary as long as you are familiar with finance systems and non-profit accounting standards/practices
- Keep our office supplies stocked, as well as prevent (and solve) infrastructure problems (IT, utilities, etc.) in the Oakland office
- Additional duties as assigned
In this role, organization and people-skills are paramount. While experience in a similar role in the civil rights sector is not required, a commitment to civil rights and racial justice is. You should have:
- Discretion and ability to maneuver in delicate situations is a must. You will have access to information that is confidential and should be used with discretion.
- Top-notch organization skills. If the books on your bookshelf are in alphabetical order, your notes utilize colors with specific meanings, and you find long to-do lists energizing, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role, and nothing can fall through the cracks. Meeting deadlines is key.
- A customer-service orientation. The Finance Associate allows our staff to perform at the highest possible level. A successful candidate will be responsive but also proactive, addressing needs that staff, donors and vendors may not even be aware of. Importantly, you’re able to work calmly and intentionally under pressure.
- Poise and confidence. You’ll be working with our vendors – and in some cases negotiating service details. Being firm but polite (and being able to say no when push comes to shove) will be necessary.
- Strong writing and verbal skills. The ability to communicate information clearly is fundamental to this role. You will be asked to draft staff communications, deal with vendors and edit or develop contracts for outside vendors.
- Technology orientation. You must be comfortable with new technology usage and implementation. You will be adapting yourself to new environments but must also be comfortable enough to train other employees on how to use our systems.
Application: Applicants are asked to click the link, https://colorofchange.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0mrqj, and provide: 1) A resume, 2) A cover letter that includes answers to the questions below (please limit cover letter to one page).
Cover letter questions:
- What interests you about working at COC?
- What are your career goals and how does your past work in finance and/or operations relate to the job you are seeking at COC?
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position with a competitive benefits package.
Color Of Change is an equal opportunity employer. Color Of Change prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.