Director, Finance and Accounting
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
New Profit is a nonprofit venture philanthropy fund that is working to break down barriers to opportunity in America. New Profit invests in visionary entrepreneurs and leaders; advocates for public policy that leads to better outcomes; and works with diverse partners from across sectors to catalyze big ideas and innovations.
New Profit has committed more than $120 million in financial and strategic resources to 44 organizations, including such groundbreaking organizations as Teach For America, Year Up, and Health Leads. New Profit’s nonpartisan policy arm, America Forward, has played a leading role in the creation of cutting-edge policy initiatives, including the Social Innovation Fund and new “Pay for Success” public-private partnerships.
For more information, visit http://www.newprofit.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is a compelling opportunity for an entrepreneurial and strategic thinker to design and refine systems to ensure that the finance function adapts and improves as New Profit evolves and matures.
The Director, Finance and Accounting will lead the management and daily oversight of New Profit’s financial systems and functions, including, but not limited to: compliance and controls; general ledger maintenance; annual audit; the monthly close, payroll and benefits management; and financial reporting. The Director, Finance and Accounting will also play a key role in the preparation and execution of New Profit’s annual budget process; grants management (working closely with the director of grants management); and financial planning and analysis.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director, Finance and Accounting will manage and oversee the professional development of New Profit’s staff accountant. The Director, Finance and Accounting will also work closely with members of the New Profit team, including senior leadership, as well as with external stakeholders, vendors, and representatives from our partners and portfolio organizations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Accounting, Controls & Compliance
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements (and play a supporting role in ensuring compliance with funder requirements)
- Execute the month, quarter, and year-end closing procedures
- Oversee all payroll processing and the finance aspects of benefits processing, including oversight of the organization’s benefits and 401(k) plan
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Coordinate and execute all audit activity
- Oversee the implementation, customization and ongoing improvement of New Profit’s accounting system (Intacct) and other related systems for time tracking (ClickTime), and expense reimbursement (Certify)
- Constantly seek opportunities to improve on policies, processes, and procedures and recommend and implement enhancements to existing approaches
- Manage the performance and ongoing professional development of the Staff Accountant
Planning, Reporting and Analysis
- Support the budget creation and management process in coordination with management and department leaders
- Consistently analyze financial data in order to monitor progress and changes, with a view toward identifying, explaining and addressing variances
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial close in order to keep the Chief Financial Officer and senior leadership abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare financial reports in advance of Board and committee meetings
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer in monitoring organizational cash flow forecasting by working with the development team to assess fundraising activity
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting to ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; aggregate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA or MSA required
- 8+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to New Profit’s mission, ideally with finance experience in high-growth, entrepreneurial organizations
- Experience leading accounting and control functions at a non-profit organization, experience in public accounting or controller experience strongly preferred
- Experience with grants management required
- Outstanding organizational and process management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Autonomous, self-starter, with a high level of interpersonal maturity and poise
- Collaborative team player with an orientation towards outstanding internal and external customer service
- Proactive and strategic thinker who enjoys creating and improving systems and processes
- Comfort managing multiple and changing priorities, and meeting deadlines in an entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with multiple accounting systems required, experience with Intacct preferred
- Expert level Excel skills required
LOCATION: Boston, MA
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. New Profit is deeply committed to creating a diverse and inclusive team and culture, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1167