Senior Staff Accountant
Location: Northside Center for Child Development (Harlem)
Job Type: Permanent with growth potential
Since 1946, Northside Center provides children and families the support they need to overcome adversity and thrive. Our high quality outcome-driven behavioral, mental health and education services propel struggling children forward… away from the ill-effects of poverty and racism; toward a future limited only by the scope of their dreams.
Northside is seeking a Senior Staff Accountant to report to the Assistant Director of Finance. With oversight of all financial records, restricted funds, government grants, school tuition rates, & insurance billings. The Senior Staff Accountant will oversee all other accountants.
- Manage the general ledger, create and prepare all financial reporting for various cost centers including any other necessary accounting operations and functions.
- Prepare variance analysis and work with the Assistant Director of Finance to prepare required modifications.
- Oversee compliance with all grant financial requirements, including monthly claims.
- Prepare back up for external audit requests in a timely manner.
- Perform general ledger account analysis and expense allocation. Carefully monitor actual vs. budgetary expenditures giving explanations for variances.
- Maintain electronic and paper reporting back up per organization protocol.
- Serve as back up for Assistant Director of Finance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepare Cash Flow forecast single/multi-years.
- Prepare Budget projections single/multi-years.
The successful candidate will have prior experience working in a nonprofit organization with government funders, and have at least 3-5 years of applicable experience. She/he will have initiative, the ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines, the ability to handle multiple tasks with excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication, a very high level of Microsoft Office proficiency (with the ability to learn new technologies and databases) and the ability to work both independently as a self-starter and as part of a team to complete projects in a timely manner. Prior experience as a supervisor is critical in order to lead the Finance Department team. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Prior experience with government contract compliance
- Strong Excel and Microsoft Word skills
- Previous experience with Fund EZ preferred
- Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR) experience
- Excellent Human relationship skills effectively with clients, outside agencies and staff.
Additional Application Instructions
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Jobs@Northsidecenter.org;
Note: Candidates being considered for the position must sign a release form for Northside Center to perform a criminal background check. Northside Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Northside Center for Child Development values the diversity of all our clients, staff, Board of Directors, and partners.
Fax/Mail/Email resume to:
Northside Center for Child Development
1301 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10029
Attn: Human Resources Department
Fax#: (212) 410-7561
“No Phone Calls”