South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 youth development organization for K-12 students in need of support in New York City. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. While South Asian-focused, SAYA is secular, inclusive and committed to connecting youth from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our holistic and comprehensive program model consists of academic support, college preparation, leadership and identity development, career exploration, sports activities and arts enrichment. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success.
Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $3.9 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC public schools in Queens and Brooklyn, and at our community center in Elmhurst, Queens. We offer year-round programming that takes place during the school day, after school, on weekends and during the summer. During the 2014-15 school year, we had over 800 participants, many of whom identify as South Asian or belong to other communities of color. During the 2015-16 school year, over 2,000 youth benefited from our services.
SAYA is seeking a Talent Manager to drive strategic talent initiatives in the area of talent recruitment and retention as well as employee engagement and performance management. To be successful in this position, you are someone who enjoys building relationships with people and thrives on fostering a strong culture of collaboration. This role requires a creative thinker, strong communicator, and problem solver.
Supervisor: Executive Director
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to understand the relationship between SAYA’s mission and the organization-wide staffing structure in order to create a comprehensive talent strategy;
- Implement a recruitment and retention plan resulting in an exceptional staff team that will result in better outcomes for SAYA youth;
- Update the recruitment process to include more strategically placed job postings, screening interviews and thorough reference checks;
- Improve and streamline the hiring process including conducting background checks, ensuring complete employment paperwork, training on online payroll systems, sharing company policies and orienting them to the organization;
- Maintain SAYA’s employee manual – create updates as policies are revised, communicate updates to all staff and ensure all policies are fairly implemented;
- Manage all employee benefits including the health insurance plans and flex savings accounts, annual renewal of the plan, new employee enrollment, maintaining coverage for staff as required, and assisting staff with questions;
- With the senior leadership team, drive the performance evaluation and compensation review process, with a focus on coaching managers on delivering meaningful feedback and goal setting;
- Integrate career development into the broader talent management framework (i.e. succession planning, career development, mentor program, etc.);
- Identify key areas for learning to support managers and leadership development for all staff;
- Develop and facilitate trainings with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Partner with colleagues to organize professional development opportunities with external training organizations;
- Inform current employees about continuing education opportunities that may be of interest to them, such as graduate programs and fellowships;
- Champion initiatives that build a positive, engaging and fun work culture at SAYA;
- Conduct exit interviews, analyze feedback to identify trends and make recommendations for improvements;
- Conduct an annual employee engagement survey, analyze results, present key findings and develop a plan to improve gaps.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Nonprofit Management, or related field; Master’s degree preferred;
- 5+ years of experience in a Talent/Human Resources role;
- Experience in developing and implementing recruitment and retention strategies;
- Must have strong working knowledge of state and federal employment laws and regulations;
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple projects;
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information from multiple sources;
- Willingness to learn and grow with the organization;
- Knowledge of NYC nonprofit and youth development space a plus; and
- Belief in SAYA’s mission.
To apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Talent Manager’. SAYA is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Position available immediately.
SAYA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a full-time position and salary will be based on industry standards and the candidate’s experience and qualifications. SAYA currently offers all full-time employees a 100% covered health insurance plan that includes dental and vision; 25 days of Paid Time Off; ability to occasionally work from home; and flexible office hours agreed upon in advance.