South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 youth development organization for K-12 students in need of support in New York City. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. While South Asian focused, SAYA is secular, inclusive and committed to connecting youth from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our holistic and comprehensive program model consists of academic support, college preparation, leadership and identity development, career exploration, sports activities and arts enrichment. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success.
Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $3.9 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC public schools in Queens and Brooklyn, and at our community center in Elmhurst, Queens. We offer year-round programming that takes place during the school day, after school, on weekends and during the summer. During the 2014-15 school year, we had over 800 participants, many of whom identify as South Asian or belong to other communities of color. During the 2015-16 school year, over 2,000 youth benefited from our services.
The Director of Program Design & Evaluation will provide strategic leadership and day-to-day management for all program design and evaluation efforts at SAYA. This individual will oversee the evaluation metrics among the various high school, middle school and elementary school sites. The Director of Program Design & Evaluation will use SAYA’s data as well as city demographics, best practices in positive youth development and other industry trends to develop new initiatives, as well as enhance existing programming. This person will also play a key role in setting and implementing an organizational growth strategy along side the leadership team.
Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation
Program Design & Development
- Evaluate SAYA program operations and outcomes, and apply research, data, and policy analysis to enact appropriate service changes and create new initiatives;
- Conduct literature reviews to identify target population needs, demographics, relevant data and other domains affecting new program development and implementation;
- Conduct analysis of relevant census data, as well as other sources for demographic data;
- Act as a liaison between SAYA and external organizations and assure import of best practices;
- Keep colleagues and SAYA program leaders abreast of the latest research findings, trends, and best practices in the field of positive youth development and social-emotional learning;
- Attend meetings and trainings organized by partner organizations;
- Identify trends, needs and gaps in programming based on needs and share possible solutions to address and better serve the beneficiaries;
- Work on independent projects related to program development and improvement;
- Collaborate closely with Development department on grant proposal development, particularly around new program design elements for initiatives.
- Identify key areas for evaluation
- Lead efforts to develop and align evaluation and assessments with program goals, needs of participants, and larger organizational outcomes to improve internal program practices;
- Develop SAYA’s logic model, including the organization and program specific short and long term goals and outcomes;
- Collaborate and lead conversations with SAYA staff, board members and other key stakeholders to determine appropriate metrics and benchmarks to measure program and organizational success;
- Consolidate all current tools and practices for measuring impact to ensure cohesive, consistent, high quality data collection and analysis;
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation (and/or external evaluators) to design or modify evaluation tools (pre/post-tests, surveys, assessments, interview guides, and focus group protocols) including both qualitative and quantitative methods to create a strategic evaluation plan that measures progress and success against key metrics for both internal program improvement purposes as well as for external reporting purposes;
- Partner with program staff to conduct site visits and program observations and create program quality observation reports;
- Design and implement ongoing staff trainings to improve awareness and practices around program evaluation, data integrity and positive youth development;
- Work with the Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation, Executive Director and Development staff to effectively communicate results/outcomes for grants, proposals and other external fundraising communication.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of 3-5 years of experience in program design, measurement and evaluation;
- Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management, Public Administration, Social Work, Education, Business, or related fields strongly preferred;
- Knowledge and understanding of youth development, after school and public education arenas specifically in New York City;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and manage multiple priorities, people and projects effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information from multiple sources;
- Skilled in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Documents and research.
To apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with the subject line ‘Director of Program Design & Evaluation’. SAYA is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Position available immediately.
SAYA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a full-time position and salary will be based on industry standards and the candidate’s experience and qualifications. SAYA currently offers all full-time employees a 100% covered health insurance plan that includes dental and vision; 25 days of Paid Time Off; ability to occasionally work from home; and flexible office hours agreed upon in advance.