South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 youth development organization for K-12 students in need of support in New York City. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. While South Asian-focused, SAYA is secular, inclusive and committed to connecting youth from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our holistic and comprehensive program model consists of academic support, college preparation, leadership and identity development, career exploration, sports activities and arts enrichment. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success.
Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $3.9 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC public schools in Queens and Brooklyn, and at our community center in Elmhurst, Queens. We offer year-round programming that takes place during the school day, after school, on weekends and during the summer. During the 2014-15 school year, we had over 800 participants, many of whom identify as South Asian or belong to other communities of color. During the 2015-16 school year, over 2,000 youth benefited from our services.
As a member of the organization’s senior leadership team, the Director of Finance & Operations will oversee the management and strategic advancement of the administrative infrastructure of the organization. The Director of Finance & Operations will provide leadership and direction to assure effective and efficient functioning of the organization’s financial and administrative operations including finance and accounting, budget development, financial planning and reporting, contract management, audit, tax, information technology, and facilities. This individual will actively build and improve current systems and processes at SAYA to increase efficiency and promote a culture of strategic and data-driven decision-making. The Director of Finance & Operations will provide direct supervision to a full-time Finance Associate and part-time IT Consultant.
Reports To: Executive Director
Budgeting, Tracking and Monitoring
- Lead organization’s annual budgeting process, including working with program staff, senior leadership team and the Board’s Audit & Finance Committee;
- Develop budget tracking and monitoring reports throughout the year to share with colleagues and Board members;
- Set up periodic reviews of program budgets with staff and jointly decide on necessary modifications of allocations and/or adjustments of program design and delivery;
- Liaise with program staff with budget management, including answering questions regarding budget variances, payment status, unspent funds, etc.;
- Prepare budgets for grant proposals and spending reports for funders.
- Develop grant contract budgets, record monthly expenses and monitor expenses against budgeted amounts.
- Create and submit invoices to government agencies for contractual services provided;
- Track restricted grants, including allocating expenses, end-of-month quality control of grant budgets, and recording revenue;
- Ensure contractual compliance with fiscal and programmatic reporting requirements.
- Supervise and participate when necessary in the organization’s accounting functions, including payroll administration, accounts payable and receivable, banking, cash management, and monthly review and closing of books;
- Maintain accounting records and internal controls in accordance with GAAP;
- Develop and implement internal controls and fiscal policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial information.
- Work closely with independent auditors on completion of the annual agency-wide financial statement audit and preparation of the annual Form 990, prepare supporting schedules and perform general ledger account analysis as needed;
- Serve as main point of contact for independent auditors;
- Coordinate all aspects of audits from government agencies or other external entities.
- Prepare, review and negotiate external contracts along with key colleagues;
- Oversee space leasing and facilities maintenance;
- Maintain relationships with vendors;
- Manage organization’s insurance policies;
- Work with IT Consultant to continually assess SAYA’s technology needs, as well as maintain an organization-wide inventory of equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field, MBA, MPA or CPA preferred;
- 8+ years of experience in related field, supervisory and senior management experience highly preferred;
- Comprehensive knowledge of all accounting functions and issues;
- Technical competence in the preparation of financial statements and budgets;
- Experience in government grant/contract accounts management;
- Outstanding analytical abilities, advanced Excel skills and knowledge of accounting and financial systems;
- Experience with FundEZ a plus;
- Desire to work collaboratively with colleagues in a strategic role;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and thrives in a team-oriented environment;
- Proactive attitude and desire to improve current systems and processes;
- Ability to multitask and to work under tight deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Good judgment, strong ethical values, reliable and trustworthy;
- Critical thinker, creative, open-minded and flexible;
- Belief in SAYA’s mission.
To Apply: Send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Position available immediately.
SAYA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a full-time position and salary will be based on industry standards and the candidate’s experience and qualifications. SAYA currently offers all full-time employees a 100% covered health insurance plan that includes dental and vision; 25 days of Paid Time Off; ability to occasionally work from home; and flexible office hours if agreed upon in advance.