The Consultant provides accounting and/or consulting services to clients within established firm and accounting guidelines. Participates in client financial transactions. Supervises, mentors, and helps train other staff when assigned. May be the responsible party on small engagements. The Consultant reports to FMA Managers.
- Assists the Associate Consulting team in completion of basic accounting and/or consulting tasks.
- Delivering not-for-profit financial outsourcing services. Services include, but are not limited to: audit support packages, budget development and cash flow planning, software implementation and training, senior level accounting services.
- Represents the client during the audit process.
- May present to outside clients, Boards of Directors and FMA Team members on an as-needed basis.
- Developing new products, oursourcing service tools, templates and processes.
- Participates in planning and case management activities.
Attending, and when appropriate presenting at, trainings, conferences and networking events.
Technical Skills, Core Competencies and Behaviors
- Ensures data integrity, appropriate internal controls, proper accounting methodology, and adherence to clients’ internal and external reporting deadlines as related to general accounting functions
- Assists with the month-end and year-end close processes, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, accruals, prepaids, receivables, and balance sheet account reconciliation
- Prepares and assists in analyzing the full set of financial statements, including balance sheet, profit-and-loss statement, and cash flow statement. Prepare and analyze budget to actual variances
- Serves as initial point of contact during annual fiscal audit. Ensures integrity in preliminary results as reported on financial statements, prepares audit workpapers, and answers follow-up questions
- Participates in firm’s quality review process
- Identifies technical issues and problems and communicates to Senior Consultant
- Prepares standard and specialized accounting workpapers and statements for assigned service area
- Completes all sections of service area accounting programs and other standard checklists with a minimum of review notes
- Records and posts journal entries, classifies entries and totals for an accounting period with proper approval
- Reconciles accounts, accounting records and source documents
- Supports in the drafting of footnote disclosures and other parts of client reports when assigned
- Supports in research for projects
- Reads client industry publications and keeps abreast of industry current events
Other key competencies
- Accuracy: Ensures that work is error free. Works with team to design processes that ensure accuracy. Maintains accurate time records and descriptions of work performed for client billing.
- Communication: Listens actively, asks probing questions, and provides feedback that others’ messages are being received and understood by paraphrasing, using examples, further questioning, and other techniques. Writes concisely and persuasively. Demonstrates confidence and good judgment when interacting with colleagues, supervisor, and clients. Seeks input from those with diverse perspectives or talents. Communicates to staff members the importance of seeking diverse perspectives.
- Customer Focus: Serves as principal contact for selected small and medium engagements. Ensures client service agreements are executed. Understands and can discuss client’s business and industry. Identifies ways to provide additional and better service to clients. Applies knowledge of financial fundamentals to provide value-added client service.
- Integrity: Follows regulations and professional ethics of the AICPA and the State Board and applicable specialty organizations. Acts and encourages others to act in accordance with the firm’s vision and values. Identifies any unusual activity by clients or peers and refers to the appropriate authority.
- Results Oriented: Takes initiative to seize opportunities. Effectively works through roadblocks and barriers to get results. Demonstrates a sense of urgency about results.
- Teamwork: Shares ownership with team and incorporates others’ ideas in the results. Offers ideas and feedback to other members of the firm.
- Time Management: Exceeds chargeability, profitability, and/or realization goals. Performs at a consistently high level with changing priorities and demands.
- Action Oriented: Seeks opportunities outside realm of responsibility. Identifies opportunities to provide value added services to clients and informs leadership. Recognizes and successfully pursues potential business development opportunities. Resolves challenges and issues in a timely fashion.
- Learning Agility: Willingly incorporates new processes, procedures, or technology into daily routine. Quickly grasps new concepts and ideas. Pursues learning opportunities outside one’s own comfort zone.
- Problem Solving: Uses available data and seeks out additional information to analyze a problem or issue. Begins to draw from seemingly unrelated experiences to creatively analyze and solve a unique problem. Understands and utilizes various problem solving tools. Uses principles learned from past experience to solve current problems. Consistently makes the appropriate decisions based on a review of all the facts. Makes decisions in situations where facts or evidence may be lacking. Demonstrates ability to see big picture – looking beyond details to see overarching goals and results.
Key Relationships (Supervises)
- Associate Consultants for outsourcing and software implementation
- In conjunction with the Director in charge of Software and Outsourcing Solutions and Managers
Education and Experience
- Four year degree in Business Administration (or similar field) with a major in accounting required.
- Minimum of three years as an accountant in a nonprofit setting.
- CPA preferred, but not required. However, this individual is expected to progress professionally towards obtaining a CPA certificate.
- Strong knowledge of Fund Accounting Software products, Excel and Microsoft Office.
Please send or fax your resume to:
Fiscal Management Associates
440 Park Avenue South, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10016
Attn: Melissa Mangual
Or email your resume to:
FMA strongly values the diversity of its workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.